Smith Memorial Playhouse and Playground Phase IV

Smith Memorial Playground and Playhouse first welcomed the children of Philadelphia in 1899, as “a safe place in the country where children from the city could come to play.” Designed by celebrated architect James H. Windrim, Smith was listed on Philadelphia’s Historic Register in 1977. In 2007, MBTA was commissioned to restore and rehabilitate the Playhouse. MBTA’s design re-configures and optimizes under-utilized space, creating increased program and free play space, and upgrades electrical, mechanical, plumbing, structural and life-safety systems. MBTA’s conditions assessment and restoration treatments were focused on preserving the original historic fabric and beauty of the Playhouse. During more than 100 years, the Playground and Playhouse have delighted over ten million visitors. MBTA’s renewal will help to ensure Smith’s extraordinary and ongoing role in support of its mission to “provide safe, creative and fun recreational facilities free of charge to children in the Philadelphia area.”

Related Projects
Smith Memorial Playhouse Restoration  ►
 

◄ Recent Projects  |  Smith Memorial Playhouse and Playground; Phase IV